CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Mystic River


Just finished reading this novel which I borrowed from my uni's library
It's called 'Mystic River' by Dennis Lehane
I have no words to describe how awesome this book is, it's friggin' mind-blowing!!!
It's so good that it practically gave me the chills while reading
I've never read a book that's so powerful and mind-blowing, it just messes with your mind a little...
It's messed with mine, fucked it up just a little, I love books like these... gives you something to think about after you've finished with it
The book is a mix of crimes, murders, betrayals, friendships, love, mystery, trauma and with a little twist thrown in
The suspense haunts me, I couldn't read it in one go yet I couldn't put it down, took me quite a while to finish it
It's so heart-wrenching the way everything felt so real, you just know how good the author is when they can pull you into the story, immerse you in the plot and make you feel what the characters are feeling
That's what this book did to me, I friggin' cried over a psychological mystery crime thriller, dammit
I don't usually read crime thrillers like these, but I think there's always a start for something
I'm probably gonna be a fan of Dennis Lehane's books, just as I did with Suzanne Brockmann's
I also love how the dialogues are something that you'd say in real life
The lines are not always smart, but funny sometimes, it's not something that's made up
Gosh... I cannot get over this, not every book has a happy ending... what's more with an ending that leaves you mind-boggled... like 'you'd have to think for the ending yourself, I ain't giving it to you for shit'
Like will Jimmy get away with all of this a free man? Will Sean ever get to put the cuffs on Jimmy like he said he would? Dave... how's Dave doing in heaven or most probably hell, maybe he's still trapped with his lies underneath the Mystic River
To think that all three of them were childhood friends...
Like the saying, old habits die hard...
I think this quote pretty much sums up the book,

"There are threads in our lives. You pull one and everything else gets affected."

I just found out that this book was made into a movie of the same name
Mystic River which was released in 2003, no wonder it sounded familiar
Starred Clint Eastwood, Sean Penn, Kevin Bacon, Laurence Fishburne and Emmy Rossum... those are some big names there!
I'll have to watch this...
Gawd, this was one pretty unforgettable book, thanks for the memories!
.

0 Played: